The Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (PADEP), Southeast District provided a regulatory update on a variety of topics on June 18, 2018:
- The District is still trying to fill several Section Chief positions and is hopeful they will be filled in the near future.
- The Land Recycling Program Technical Guidance Manual (TGM) is currently being updated with a goal of it being finalized later this year. Several plan changes include:
- Combining the vapor intrusion guidance into the TGM, and
- Separating the toxicological tables out of the TGM, which will allow the PADEP to more readily make changes in the future.
- The Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS) investigations of the Department of Defense (DoD) bases in Warminster and Horsham, as well as, the Easton Road PFC and Ridge Run PFC HSCA sites. To date, the sources of the Hazardous Sites Cleanup Act (HSCA) sites have not been identified. The District has reported that the PADEP is requiring some industrial National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit renewal applicants to provide data on PFAS; however, the PADEP does not have any current plans to follow in the footsteps of New York State or New Jersey and develop state Maximum Contaminant Levels (MCL’s) or initiate/mandate PFAS investigations at potential source sites.
Thanks to the Society of Women Environmental Professionals, Philadelphia Chapter for arranging the PADEP update.
For more information on this topic, contact:
Steve Kirschner, P.E.
Senior Project Professional